Comuna Jurilovca

According to the historical sources, the town was founded in 1826 by the Lipovan Russians coming from the lands of Don and Dnieper.


About Jurilovca

Jurilovca is located in the central-south part of Tulcea county and borders with the following administrative areas: North - Sarichioi village, South - Constanta county, East - Razelm (Razim) Lake, West - Ceamurlia de Jos village.  On the North-South direction the village is crossed by the county road DJ 222. Distances to the nearest towns are: Constanta - 89 km, Tulcea - 55 km, Babadag - 32 km.

Jurilovca village is characterized by a continental climate with hot summers and low rainfall. Winters are generally warm, but with strong winds. The average annual temperature: 11o C. Precipitation: 400 ml/m2/year.

Jurilovca, the most famous Lipovan village in our country, is located on Golovita Lake, which is part of Razim - Sinoe lagoon complex. According to the historical sources, the town was founded in 1826 by the Lipovan Russians coming from the lands of Don and Dnieper.

Those Lipovans, as well as all the people who came in Romania in the same areas, left their native lands, following the application of the new canonical rules by the Russian Orthodox Church and the measures imposed by Peter the Great who aimed the Europeanization of the Eastern empire. These communities vigorously maintained their cultural traditions, although the Lipovan villages were found almost 200 years ago, such as Jurilovca and Sarichioi villages from Razelm – Sinoe area, Carcaliu on the Danube River or Mile 23 and Perprava villages. The Lipovans are still keeping their native language which is the archaic Russian.